Thursday, October 25, 2012

Skunks!!

We have a skunk issue!

 Our first skunk encounter was our lab cross Carter. This was several years ago, I let him out in the middle of the night & when I let him back in, I smelled skunk. I checked him but didn't smell anything, then I touched him, still nothing. I woke Mark & had him smell my hand....Yup skunk. Apparently, it takes a few minute for the odor to appear. In one weeks time poor Carter had 8 baths, needless to say, he now despises baths. We tried vinegar & douches. Douches worked better & we were buying them by the four pack. Then every time he got wet for months afterwards we still smelled a slight skunky odor.

Next was the sheep. We had a skunk spray them in the barn. When we sheared them months later, we had to throw away the wool because it still smelled.

Two years ago, Carter was sprayed again! This time we let him in the sugar shack, because we were sugaring...again it took a few minutes before we realized it was him. This time, we put him in the back of my brothers cab truck & brought him to the groomers. It was the best $50 I have spent! He smelled great & he knew it. He came home with a bandanna around his neck & a happy face!

Last month it was the kitten, Ryder. She just got a little on the side of her neck. I Googled what to use. A mixture of peroxide, baking soda, and soap (which actually seemed to work). I thought, this should be interesting...giving a cat a bath. Silly cat, didn't fight me at all. When I was done, I wrapped her in a towel & she let me hold her while she was shaking, terrified. Poor Baby!

Now, it's the pigs! Good thing they are babies & were not ready to eat them! It sure does make chore time, not as pleasant.


1 comment:

  1. ewww! It was horrible when Mokey got sprayed. Chloe is staying inside.

    ReplyDelete