Friday, May 25, 2012

Seriously, You Can't Make This Stuff Up (Sheep part 1)


Seriously, You can't make this stuff up (sheep, part 1)

Fall of 2009: K3 decided she wanted to show sheep, not just any sheep but natural colored Romney sheep. We couldn't find any locally so we ended up driving to Maine to buy two sheep. Crazy, I know! At first glance sheep seem cute & fuzzy...not always the case. I unloaded Raquel from the truck & she took one look at Carter (our 80 lb chocolate lab mix) and went ballistic. I went in the direction of the barn running along trying to hang onto her while she was jumping as high as my shoulder. She frantically ran into the barn & SMACK! right into the 2 x 4 gate. She was bleeding from the nose & we were both stunned. Welcome home, Raquel!

A few weeks later the sheep  had settled down. Carter was very interested in them & really wanted to play. One day while Mark was in the barn he decided to let Carter in. While, Raquel took one look at him and charged flattening poor Carter. A dazed Carter stood back up & Raquel went to charge again, but Mark stopped her. Guess we don't have to worry about the dog scarring the sheep, we have to worry about the sheep scarring the dog!

Spring  2010 K3 and I needed to catch the sheep and move them to a new pasture. Raquel was being quite challenging running away from us, despite trying to lure her in with grain. I dove for her & caught her around the neck, but this didn't stop her. She dragged me a few feet and somehow managed to step on my hip giving me quite the bruise. Needless to say I was determined and didn't let go, and we managed to move the sheep. This is when I started calling her The Beast!


                                          Dedicated to Raquel a.k.a... The Beast




No comments:

Post a Comment