Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Trying to find balance

At risk of being stereotypical, I am going to say that women struggle with trying to find balance. At least all the women in my life. We have our jobs, our house, and most importantly our families. I know that I want to be the best mom I can to my girls & wife to Mark, I always want my house clean enough for unexpected guest (which never happens- not the guest- we have people  teenagers in an out all the time- it's the clean house that never happens!). My job, which happens to be farming, again all the farmers I know struggle with balance & time.

So here I am a women farmer = never enough time. Well, every day the animals need to be fed & cleaned, actually twice a day. Everyday I have dishes & laundry. On a good day, I make something semi decent for dinner. On a good day I have a conversation with each of the K's (they are teenagers & have their own lives, and an opposite scheduled than mine - sleep in & stay up late.). If I am having a good week I might vacuum once or twice. A really good week means I actually did something for me, like not being so tired at the end of the day when I shower, that I actually shave my legs!

Since we began the petting barn & raising animals for meat I have given up things that I really do miss. The biggest thing is my garden. The only thing we planted was pumpkins & popcorn. Fortunately, I traded a meat CSA share for a veggie CSA share. I am happy to have fresh veggies, but miss running out to the garden to pick dinner. Next spring won't be as crazy (at least that's what I say now!), so I should be able to plant a garden.

I have also realized that I am a terrible friend. I never call or make any plans with anyone. We used to have a social life (mostly friends & dinners at each others houses), now we never have TIME! Summer is almost over & we've only had one or two dinner parties on the deck. I've barley swam in my pool. That's another thing, the pool has turned green twice this summer, due to my lack of attention. We even finally broke down & bought Carlos (automatic pool vacuum). Even Carlos can't keep up.

On a positive side all creatures 2 legs & four, know I love them. That I do my very best to keep them healthy & happy. That I always have Mark by my side. That we continue to be Livin the Dream!

1 comment: