Thursday, February 13, 2014

100th post....

This is my 100th blog post, so I looked back at my first post and decided to re post it. This was written  5/8/12. 

Why We Want To Farm
For Mark & I it began when we were kids. Mark spent his childhood playing with toy tractors, playing @ Wilbur’s farm, and knowing he wanted to be a farmer. I have happy memories playing @ my brother’s farm with Christa, and @ the LeRoy’s farm.
We grew up and both of us worked on my brother’s farm. I milked cows for ten years and Mark worked there for twelve. Then we moved on for jobs with better pay & better hours.
In 2009, I took a class on sustainability @ CCV taught by an amazing professor (J. Williams), who opened my eyes to the problems with our food system. I watched Food Inc, read books by Joel Salatin, Michael Pollan, and Barbra Kingsolver. I realized there are many ways to farm, other than the traditional dairy farm which Mark & I were so familiar with.
So, here we are....trying to make something of Triple K Farm (named after our three daughters). Our goal is to provide a healthy, happy, and sustainable quality of life for ourselves, our animals, and hopefully others.
We currently sell hay, maple syrup, lamb, and K3 sells eggs. We have hopes for much more in the future. Stay tuned...

I remember writing this post. We were trying to find a way to make our farm work. We were definitely discourage.We had a plan and knew what we wanted to do, but no land or barn to make it happen. Every option we tried to pursue ended up not working out. Mark desperately wanted to farm on the Simonds homestead, but that wasn't an option. We found a small farm in Leicester, but when we went to the bank it was just a little too expensive. Then we found a field for sale in Whiting, but that sold too quickly. We had thought of asking Leo & Arlene about renting, but thought for sure they would think we were crazy & shoot down the idea like everyone else. I remember sitting at the table with Mark and we made the decision that if we couldn't make this happen in 2013 than we were done. We were tired of being half way in the game. In or out!  Well, we asked Leo & Arlene and they agreed! Not only do they allow us to rent the barn, but help us in lots of little ways. So here we are Livin' the dream!

I hope you all enjoy reading my blog as much as I enjoy writing it.I just have to document this crazy life we lead somehow, and I may as well share with others. So raise your glass, to another hundred blogs. Cheers!




1 comment: