Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Go Away Winter

I know that lot's of people are sick of winter. We had a little spring preview last Tuesday. It was beautiful, everything was melting. We tapped trees and I didn't even wear a jacket! Then on Wednesday we got TWO FEET OF SNOW! To make it even worse, we've had several below zero nights. UGH!

This just makes my life so much harder. For starters the ponies haven't been able to go out. The snow is up to their bellies. I tried but they could hardly move, so I brought them in. Not only do I feel bad for them, but that's extra cleaning for me. The cold is even worse. The chicken water freezes, so I have to bring out water twice a day. I always have one in the house defrosting, just what I want in my kitchen. We have to keep the 100 chicks warm. I can just see my electric bill this month. The chicks have 3 heat lights going around the clock. Not to mention the heater for the cows water. Oh...and we can't forget the sugar arch that can't freeze, so there's a heater running in there. Let's talk about heating the house, we've gone through all our wood, so we had to cut & split more. It's just so exhausting and discouraging.

On a positive note we've made about 10 gallons of maple syrup on the very few warm days we've had. Which, this time last year, we had made close to 50 gallons.Not sure if this means a short sugar season or just a late one. Which is worse? Make less syrup or a late spring. A late spring brings it's own headaches & problems. We have so much to do... Starting with getting 100 chicks in their mobile coop. I have no idea what we are going to do if the snow doesn't melt soon. We need to build fence, get the animals out to pasture, and  make our new garden. The petting barn opens May 3rd & our Spring Fling is the 10th...really hoping kid's won't have to wear their snowsuits (just kiddin').

That's enough complaining. It's time for me to go back to the barn. Think Spring!

P.S. Time to sign up for Summer Meat & Poultry Shares.


No comments:

Post a Comment