Friday, June 22, 2012

Likes / Dislikes of Farming



Just like everything in life there are things we like & things we don't. Farming is no exception. So here is my list:

Likes (actually Loves):
1) Babies of all shapes & sizes! (I also love human babies) Nothing is cuter than woolly lambs & fuzzy chicks! It's great to see the mama's caring for their babies (lambing blog soon).
2) Harvest & providing for ourselves. Nothing beats fresh vegetables from the garden - think corn on the cob, fresh green beans & cukes...oh the list goes on. Anyone hungry? How about a shelf full of  maple syrup, jams, and spaghetti sauce. Can't forget the freezer full of pasture raised pork & beef. Breakfast would not be the same without eggs from K3's Koop!
3) Starting my morning on the porch with Mark, coffee, and watching all the animals. Ending the day with a drink in our hand in the same place, doing the same thing.

Dislikes:
1) Death - Unfortunately  it comes with the territory. We've lost many chickens, several sheep, and one horse. Some are easier than others.
2) Escapees - (remember the pig & horse blog). Escapees always run for the road or chow down in the garden. Actually, Anna (sheep) has been banned to the barn today because she has chosen not to stay in the fence and she has a fondness for broccoli which I have already replanted once thanks to her.
3) Poison Ivy - as I am writing this it is vivid in my mind, due to the fact that I have poison ivy. That I got as a bonus for weed whacking the fence line to keep the sheep from escaping into my garden.

Some Days I Like / Some Days I Dislike
1) Working outside or in the barn - I love being outside or going to the barn.... The exception (in my book) is when it is over 80 degrees or under 10 degrees. Then I either want to be in my pool with a cold drink in my hand or snug in the house, wrapped in a blanket, with scented candles burning.
2) Working together - Some days it's great, but others.....warning do not come by if Mark & I are fixing fence or we are making the K's help with firewood. It can get ugly!
3) Having a Farm as our home - I love being & working at home....but we can never leave. Some days the to do list is just too long and overnights are next to impossible.

Well, there you have it! All thing considered, to Mark & I it is definitely worth it. Farming is something we love and have dreams of doing much more. The K's don't agree but that's pretty typical of teenagers.We are sure someday they will appreciate it...

1 comment:

  1. The K's will appreciate someday. I don't remember you loving to carry buckets of milk down the hill across the road to feed calves. Remember I was NEVER going to marry a farmer...

    ReplyDelete