Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Tis the Season

Tis the season...breeding season! Which to me = headaches! Let's see, first we have to find the perfect suitor, which given the multiple species we have,  that in itself is a challenge. Then we have to figure the timing of when they are going to calve, lamb, kid, or farrow. Now we have to catch them in heat....and so the fun begins.

I'll start with the cows. We have Bailey, Flicka, and Black Beauty to breed. Two months ago we finally noticed Bailey in heat. We called all our farmer friends & with a little help from Google, we found an artificial breeder. She was bred- one down two to go, or so we thought. A month later she is back in heat, we breed Bailey again. We gave the other two a shot to induce heat. It worked for Flika and we had her bred. We waited 10 days and gave Black Beauty another shot- still nothing....ugh! This morning I went to quickly do morning chores, so I could head to Rutland for a much needed haircut & color (need to get rid of those grays!), by K2 @Stafford. But..nope change of plans, Flicka is in heat, again. So I cancel my appointment & wait for the breeder. Fingers are crossed that she takes this time.

The sheep are easier, we have our own ram. We traded him for some hay last month. I don't love him, but he should be fine, and hopefully give us bigger lambs which = more lamb chops. I think we are going to put him in this weekend which means lambs the last of March & early April. Hopefully, we have lots of sweet lambs running around when the petting barn reopens for the season.

S'more & Nala, the Nigerian Dwarf goats. I have found them a perfect match. A driveway breeding service (I kid you not!). First they only breed registered does, so I had to send in all my paperwork & am waiting for that to come back. Then I have to notice them in heat (unlike cows...I have no idea what I'm looking for). When they are in heat I will drive them 1 1/2 hours away for their "date". I am betting the odds of them being in heat at the same time is zero, meaning two trips. I am told I can entice them into heat with a buck rag. They take a rag & rub it on the smelly buck,and then I put it in with my does. They should come in heat within a few days. Once my registration papers are back, I will try this....wish me luck!

Then there is the pigs. We bought two piglets this spring, Freckles & Charlotte, with the intention of breeding them. Well, they aren't big enough for spring piglets, we will have to wait and breed them this spring for fall piglets. So we kept one of the pigs that was going to go for meat last week. She didn't have a name because we weren't planning on keeping her. I call her mama pig (I'm hopeful that she will be!). Now, mama pig needs a daddy pig. We thought we had one lined up for January. We were going to bring him here for a month or two until she was bred. Then we find out he is a Big Daddy. Too big! Mama pig needs a small daddy. So anyone one know of a small daddy looking for love in January? Didn't think so...I'll keep you posted on the pig love match.

And...this is my life right now,  animal match making.


No comments:

Post a Comment