Friday, March 29, 2013

Oh where to begin.....


Lambs are doing great!! 6 rams & 6 Ewes. We have lambed for 3 years, and this is the first year we haven't lost any. I read that the average mortality rate is 20 %, many die within the first 24 hrs, then a high percentage die within the first 10 days. We are well past the danger zone, and everyone is thriving.

We have shut down sugaring due to the fact we have too many other things that need our attention, and we are out of wood. We sold a little sap & will sell the rest if it runs anymore. We plan to clean the pan & sugar shack this weekend. We ended the year with over 80 gallons. We are pretty happy with that!

Last night of sugaring & everyone is tired!

Tuesday we had a chicken fatality. One of our hens was eaten by a hawk - that's a first for us. Our fall chicks are just starting to lay. We got 17 eggs last night! We have had a slow winter & haven't been able to sell eggs, but now were back in business! Next Wednesday our 100 meat chick arrive. That's another thing on the weekend to do list - set up a warm & secure place in the barn for them.

Wednesday night, poor Cater stepped on something & cut his toe pad pretty badly. We found that vet wrap & duct tape work pretty well.

Thursday, I went on a trail ride with K1 & K3. It was a great day, I love to ride, and I am feeling a little sore. I haven't been since last fall.This was a birthday trail ride for K1 who will be 18 on Easter. Saturday we are going out to dinner, on Sunday we will have cake & Spaghetti (she requested white- not multi grain that I usually buy). Doesn't seem possible our baby girl is all grown up.

Our CSA is doing really well, with only a few shares left! Our beef & pigs went this week. That was a relief- a few less mouths to feed & chores go a little faster. We have two new freezers, ready & waiting.

Progress on the barn is SLOW! With lots to be done. K1's boyfriend spent last Saturday pressure washing the ceiling. I went on Sunday. It's all white wash, which looks like it will flake right off, but doesn't. I tried scraping it off, but it's a huge space to do that! Thinking we are going to finish pressure washing & call it good.Spray paint & see what happens. If area's flake off, then we will just have to spray it again. Mark installed the front door into the store area today, Looks awesome. Hopefully, tomorrow he & Andy will frame up the store. I will work on cleaning the rest of the floor & washing ceiling. I will try to post pictures at the end of the weekend.

Our logo is done & so awesome. I am working on our website in my free time (hah! who am I kidding, I don't have free time). Hopefully, it is up & running soon, because I can't wait to share it!

Hope you enjoy the glimpse into this crazy farm life.....

P.S  Had to leave you with this cute picture of Ryder:
The rough life of a cat!




No comments:

Post a Comment