Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Myra!

Let me tell you about Myra. We got her 3 years ago as a lamb. We were just starting with sheep & this was our first year breeding. We had K3's show lamb & we needed a companion for her when we put the ram out with all the other ewes to be breed. We went to this farm that had 100 sheep. We caught these two little ewes & K3 picked Myra. We thought she should get the other one because it was bigger. She was insistent she wanted Myra. When we got in the truck she told us why: she had looked them both over & the other one had a dirty butt & she had learned in 4-H that was an indicator of worms. Guess we couldn't argue with that! Smart girl!

Myra is still on the tiny side. She is our smallest ewe. Myra is also wild, and had to catch. Last year was her first year lambing. She was huge! When she did lamb it was a nightmare. It took both Mark & I to get that lamb out & by then it was dead. The second one was also difficult coming out but that one lived. Poor Myra, I don't know how she didn't tear but she was so swollen & bruised for weeks.

So, here we go again. She is huge! This time I know her due date.
It was Saturday, but  No lambs. On Friday, I started getting up once a night to check on her. I am worried we are going to have a repeat of last year, and if no one is around to help her, then we might lose them all.
Sunday, No lambs....
Monday, No lambs....
Tuesday, No lambs.... but last night (Tues) she seemed different at night chores, Then she was laying down when I checked her @ 10 when I was going to bed. She looked very uncomfortable. I watched her & saw one of the lambs kick & it was right in her backbone & her whole backside shook. This is it! I set my alarm & go out at 12. Still no lambs, no water bag, but she is still laying down, Set alarm again  for 2. NOTHING! Now, she is standing up chewing her cud. Get up @ 6....no lambs, check her at 8 ....no lambs.

I am so worried , tired, and REALLY hoping she has them Today!!!

Here is Myra on Friday!

Here she is even BIGGER last night!


1 comment:

  1. Keeping my fingers crossed she goes today. Poor mama! Keep us posted!!!

    ReplyDelete