Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Sweetening the pan


As you all know, Mark is anxious for the sugaring season, so we tapped about 1/2 our trees on Sunday. Tuesday it ran a little, but not enough to fire the new arch. Today ran a little better, and so we fired up for the first time. This is called sweetening the pan, which means you get everything started but no draw off (syrup).

 When ever we go to the sugar woods we take the dogs, because they love to run. Today, I was getting on my boots I asked Carter " do you want to go the Grandpa's?" He ran for the door & started whining.  He knows when I say this he is going to go run!
 We take the bucket of sap off the tree & dump them into 5 gal buckets  which we then carry to the 4-wheeler trailer. Here, Mark is waiting for me to dump in my bucket & watching the dogs.  We defiantly get a workout during sugaring season, between all the walking & carrying buckets.

Then, we pump the sap from the 4-wheeler trailer into the tank on the back of the truck. Here is Mark's dad, he comes out to get some fresh sap, he loves to drink it!

And so it begins.......

1 comment: