Thursday, February 21, 2013

OMG......QUADS!!!!!


 Yes, you are seeing correctly....Myra had FOUR LAMBS!!!!

 So, yesterday was her due date. During morning chores I fell on the ice & dumped the 5 gal. water bucket I was carrying. I smacked my knee, which caused me to limp all day & night for the MANY  trips to the barn.  I checked on Myra through out the day. I did leave to bring the dogs to the vet for their yearly shots.

Around 5 PM we noticed that Myra was hunching up & was in the beginning stages of labor. All evening we checked, we were worried about her but wanted to give her space. Mark went to bed around ten, while I waited.
10:00 I saw the water bag starting to emerge.
11:30 It was fully out. I set my alarm & slept for an hour.
12:30 I found the white ram lamb had been born. I set my alarm & slept for another hour.
1:30 I found a black ram lamb. I moved her into lambing jug & I thought she was done.
2:30 Finally go to bed
5:00 AM I hear Mark come into the house, briskly walk into the bedroom, "Tracy GET UP, there's four!" and he turns around & walks out.

In the pen, there is one more black ram lamb & the tiniest black ewe lamb. She had just been born.The other ram lamb is still wet too. I take the ewe into the house & we wake up K3. She takes over & uses towels & the hair dryer to dry her. We go back to the barn & check everyone else. After she is dry we bring her back out. At 8 as soon as the vet opens I call & ask them for advice. He says as long as she is accepting them all then leave them but we will need to supplement them.  Now, I notice Miley is acting strange. She is reacting to her shots. I call the small animal vet, they want me to give her an aspirin.Off to Brandon for milk replacer.
Once, home (10 am) we hold Myra down & try to get each one to nurse. Then we bottle feed them.
Repeat @ noon. Now it's 3 and time to go back to the barn.

P.S. Miley is doing better!

More pics because they are sooooo cute!






No comments:

Post a Comment